2014/03/04

DEV BLOG - Artist Spotlight – Senior Environment Concept Artist Zeng Liang, AKA CCP FishWalker

Hi there, I am currently working at CCP Games Shanghai as a concept artist, responsible for scenes, architecture, design objects, and occasionally other content as well.
I am happy to be working in the art team – this is the most professional team I have worked with, and everyone on the team is very good. Of course, when collaborating with colleagues of this caliber, you are constantly reminded to try and do better.

            This is early sketch for the socket (Sat launcher)

The most interesting part of this project is that because we are working within EVE’s massive universe, there is the opportunity to do something you really like, from the overall shape of objects to completing the details of the project step by step. It gives me great satisfaction seeing the final design completed and implemented in the game.


                    This is final concept art work for the Satellite launcher
 
In terms of design scenarios, our general workflow is: start by getting the original design from the level designer, and then I will make some early sketches for the art director. He will then compare them, pick out his favorite and give me some feedback, after which I continue with more detailed designs based on his input. Once I have completed a refined version I then send it to him to review in order to get further feedback, after which I continue to polish and modify until completion. Luckily we have a great Art Director who provides timely feedback to help me do better in my direction.

            The final 3D work

 In addition, in our work there is a focus on how to distinguish between the different styles of design between the four races. EVE’s artists have done a lot of great work already, and we get a lot of inspiration from them. But how to transfer their style to ‘the ground’ is still a challenge we have to face. Sometimes to get the ‘right’ style we have to repeatedly test different designs – a process that is challenging, but also very interesting.
Our work is still ongoing, and I hope we can do more great designs in the future so that players in this universe can have an ever-more perfect experience.
-Zeng Liang, AKA CCP FishWalker

 
There is the original link

No comments:

Post a Comment